The aging process is a natural part of life; however, as we age our bodies age with us and with that comes pains and ailments specific to our age. One of these is a hormone imbalance which can cause a variety of different woes and problems. While more worrying and problematic for women, it’s also a problem many men face as well.
Some of the problems caused by a hormonal imbalance include difficulty sleeping, anxiety, nervousness, hair loss, unexplained weight gain, difficulty concentration, and fatigue. These symptoms make continuing a healthy life more difficult but also highlight the importance of staying healthy as we age.
To counter these symptoms and ailments, the field of medicine devised hormone optimization; a long-term therapy schedule to help improve our livelihoods as we grow older. Typically, this therapy will vary from person to person as it is focused specifically on which hormones each individual is lacking and needs for a healthier lifestyle.
Hormonal Imbalance in Men
While not often commonly discussed, men also suffer from hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance in men can come in four (4) different main types:
- Andropause, which is often commonly called “menopause for men”, causes a significant decline in the testosterone levels in men as they age. Andropause also causes depression, fatigue, and weakness with lower testosterone levels.
- Adrenal fatigue is a type of hormonal balance which isn’t age-reliant and is associated with extreme and chronic levels of stress. The adrenal glands within the body are responsible for creating the biochemical cortisol; the key product in counteracting stress. However, with excess levels of stress, the adrenal glands will weaken and exhaust themselves; becoming incapable of producing enough cortisol. This will, in turn, cause other hormones’ levels to drop below a satisfactory level which can be especially troublesome in a man’s older age. Symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue are difficulty concentrating, chronic tiredness, and difficulty getting out of bed.
- Hyperthyroidism is the excess of the thyroid hormone within the body. This occurs when the thyroid gland produces more than what is required by the body and is often caused by Graves’ Disease (an autoimmune disorder), thyroiditis, inflammation of the thyroid, or excessive iodine within the male’s diet. Hyperthyroidism also comes with problems such as a rapid heart rate, anxiety, irritability, difficulty sleeping, and nervousness.
- Hypothyroidism, not to be confused with the aforementioned hyperthyroidism, is another type of hormone imbalance. As one can guess, this is in the case where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone within the body. The most common cause of this is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis; an autoimmune disorder. Symptoms associated with hypothyroidism are hair loss, unexplained weight gain, slow heart rate, carpal tunnel syndrome, and an increased sensitivity to the cold.
Hormonal Imbalance in Women
Women who suffer from hormonal imbalance can find themselves battling a variety of different problems and symptoms all at once. Many of the problems they face are as follows:
- Vaginal dryness
- Loss of libido
- Mood swings
- Anxiety and depression
- Fatigue and lack of motivation
- Hair loss
- Dry, saggy, aging skin
- Pains and aches within their joints
- Difficulty focusing
- Slower recovery from injuries
What Is Involved in the Therapy?
The therapy process is devised after an evaluation with our specialists. This is to help us build a personalized therapy plan tailored specifically for the patient and their needs. Reports and research show that this method yields the best results for patients as it focuses directly on all of the patient’s needs and ailments and creates an individualized treatment plan for them.
Is Hormone Optimization Safe?
Yes, hormone optimization is entirely safe. Treatment plans will either utilize bio-identical hormones; which are as natural as the ones our own bodies produce, or medication to enhance the hormones within our bodies. In either case, both methods are 100% safe. Risks, illnesses, and complications from decades ago; back in the 50s and 70s are no longer likely to occur.
At Progressive Pain and Rehabilitation, our health experts value your well-being. We provide the best, and latest Regenerative Medicine services aimed to ensure you’re back to your best feeling. Contact us today to schedule your evaluation for any of our quality pain management services.